Places to eat in Johannesburg are hard-pressed to beat us, especially if you are looking for a relaxed, daytime outdoor-eating experience.
Tea Garden in Johannesburg
Our garden-like setting is charming. Surrounded by plants and birdsong, you will be forgiven for wanting to be with us all day.
Eat “al-fresco” in the shade of spreading Monkey-Thorn Acacias in summer or in front of a cosy fire-place in winter, and enjoy fresh, tasty food made with the best ingredients.
Our menu is a simple but delicious selection of homemade sweet and savoury foods; keeping our old firm favourites, but constantly adding new and interesting items.
Linda’s Italian heritage is evident – everything is homemade and fresh. The milk is from the small dairy herd, as is the homemade butter.
The jam is made by Linda’s mother (people travel miles for it!) and the bread is home-made. The green salads are supplemented with produce from the veggie garden.
Eating out with a young family is easy with us. We have a sandpit, and plenty of space for children to explore safely. We do however ask that children are not left unsupervised - we are eager for all our customers to have the best experience possible while with us, including those that come for the peace and quiet of our little piece of heaven.
Many items on the menu are suitable for our younger visitors and we are constantly building on our kiddies menu.
We are the perfect meeting place, for friends and family. An easy drive from the centre of Johannesburg, Krugersdorp and Pretoria, and close to the Cradle of Humankind.
Business lunches and breakfasts are popular, as we are a quiet venue, and conducive to concentration.
See how many bird species (we have 149 on our list) you can identify whilst enjoying your meal or tea. Or wander around and bird watch after your meal.
Wheel Chair Friendly
All parts of the tea garden are wheelchair friendly and easily accessible.
High Tea Johannesburg
High teas are served by special arrangement. An experience for all the senses, so take your time.
Garden Party Venues Johannesburg
Are you looking for the perfect venue for a birthday tea, bridal shower / kitchen tea or stork party? Chat to us about a special tea or meal, custom made for your special occasion.
A great location for any occasion:
- Our tea and scones are legendary – and the fresh filter coffee is always hot.
- If you are looking for an informal, quiet business meeting venue with space to think, this is the perfect spot.
- As we are now open on Sundays, we’re also a great meeting place for family and friends to fellowship after church, or plan your mountain bike trail ride in the Cradle of Humankind to stop with us for breakfast.
- A perfect breakfast venue, we regularly offer special breakfasts—check out our “Events” page for more details.
- Baked goods are on offer from our tea garden kitchen. Fresh, farm goodness to take home with you.
- We are a toddler and child friendly venue, with a wholesome menu, a sandpit, and lots of outdoor space to explore (under supervision at all times please).
- Our kitchen caters for our meeting venue, and delegates always comment on and enjoy the delicious food. Click here for more details.
- Environmentally focused children’s parties - by booking only.
Cakes and all eats baked on the premises.
No Picnicking at Random Harvest Nursery
As we have seen a number of people picnicking on our grounds over the last few months, we thought it best to clarify that Random Harvest Nursery and Farm is not a picnic venue.
We have a number of events that do, from time to time, include refreshment outside of the tea garden, but these are pre-planned, paid for events. These may have caused some visitors to think that picnics are acceptable in our lovely venue, but we unfortunately do not offer this facility.
Please note that our tea garden is well stocked with delicious items on the menu, and we have carefully placed our tea garden tables so you are able to enjoy an alfresco meal.
Dogs are no longer permitted at Random Harvest. A number of inconsiderate dog owners have ignored repeated requests to keep their dogs quiet and on a leash. This has led to the dogs bothering other customers in the tea garden and nursery, damaging plants and relieving themselves in inappropriate places.
Should you have no choice but to have your dog accompany you, you are required to leave them in your vehicle in a shady parking spot.